gm:transport is the brandname for Greater Manchester's Light Rail, bus and suburban rail network (operated by Northern Trains). Buses, trams and trains are being progressively branded in a distinctive orange and charcoal grey livery. Since 2005, an ITSO compatible contactless smartcard called CATScard has been available for use on buses, trams and trains.
Mainline Rail servicesEdit
- NeVida WestCoast - Express services to London
- Euroline - Express services to London and the Continent
- Northern Trains - Local and regional services
- Midland - Express and Interregional services to London, Liverpool, the Midlands and East Anglia
- Regional Railways Express - Services to the West Country
- WalesRail - Services to Wales
- Penguin Trains Pullman - The Midland Pullman operates Mondays Manchester - London and Fridays London - Manchester.
Other Local transport servicesEdit
The majority of local bus services are operated by Greater Manchester Transport. Buses are liveried in an updated Orange and Grey livery, with route branding being extended across the fleet. GMT aims to have a 100% low floor fleet by 2008.
Major stations and interchangesEdit
Manchester has four major city centre railway stations, two major bus/tram interchanges, and a coach station. A free bus service, the CityShuttle links all seven together, as well as major shopping and cultural attraction.
- Manchester Piccadilly - Major departure point for NeVida WestCoast services to London, as well as regional and interegional services. GMAX tram and bus services also call
- Manchester Victoria - Interegional hub for Northern Trains Transpennine rail services, as well as an important suburban rail and GMAX tram interchange
- Manchester Oxford Road - Major interchange between GMAX suburban rail and tram/bus services to South Manchester.
- Manchester Central - Terminus for Midland and Euroline services to the Midlands, London and the Continent. GMAX 1 Light Rail services also call here.
- Shudehill - Brand new interchange for Bus and tram services to North/East Greater Manchester.
- Piccadilly Gardens - Major central interchange between buses and trams. Most bus services to South and West of Greater Manchester depart from here.
- Chorlton Street bus station - Terminus for NatEx and Megacoach express services.